Based on the number of books printed and sold in the last 50 years, this is the list of the top ten most read (English) books — along with their opening line — on our planet.
How many have you read? (No, watching the movie doesn't count!)
- THE HOLY BIBLE
"In the Beginning God Created the Heavens and the Earth."
- QUOTATIONS FROM CHAIRMAN MAO TSE-TUNG by Mao Tse-Tung
"The force at the core leading our cause forward is the Chinese Communist Party."
- HARRY POTTER by J.K. Rowling
"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS by J.R.R. Tolkien
"When Mr Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magni- ficence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton."
- THE ALCHEMIST by Paulo Coelho
"The Alchemist picked up a book that someone in the caravan had brought."
- THE DA VINCI CODE by Dan Brown
"Renowned curator Jacques Sauniere staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery."
- THE TWILIGHT SAGA by Stephanie Meyer
"I'd never given much thought to how I would die — though I'd had reason enough in the last few months — but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this."
- GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell
"Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were."
- THINK AND GROW RICH by Napoleon Hill
"TRULY, "thoughts are things," and powerful things at that, when they are mixed with definiteness of purpose, persistence, and a BURNING DESIRE for their translation into riches, or other material objects"
- THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK by Anne Frank
“I hope to tell you everything that I could never tell anyone until now.”
- Book Reviews in 25-Words or Less
- Quiz: Which Book Should I Read Next?
- A List of Banned Books in the USA and Why They Are Banned
- The Beautiful Icelandic Tradition of Giving Books as Gifts During the Holidays
- The 6 Golden Rules For Being a Good Writer
- How Important Is The First Line of A Book
- The 100 Best Novels Written In English